3/04/2013

mondayboook - my brownies are awesome edition

It's been awhile since I've done an actual daybook. Bless you folks for coming and reading my little weird posts. I will check out those resources for Downton this week!

This weekend was good. A mix of rest, work, giving, and receiving. We had a Philosophy Breakfast that lasted til 2:00! And then ran errands, discovering a great gluten free pizza on the way. Sunday we took our first communion in what may become our new church - woah, man. Just in time for Easter. I had a networking meeting, and got a lot out of it. And we ended the weekend with a cozy dinner and small pre-birthday celebration with some dear friends. Full.

For today I am,

Seeing... A sky that doesn't quite know what to do with itself. It feels coastal this morning. Clouds and clean air and the promise of a sunshiney afternoon... buds, buds, buds! Trees all over have burst forth in glorious pollen. This is my 2 weeks of allergies. This year really isn't that bad. Don't know if its because of the weird weather or paleo, but I'll take it!

Hearing... Our dove cooing and wooing. I hope all our homes have doves near them in spring. That sound means something powerful to me now.

Tasting... Tea. We've got 5 kinds now, including a few remaining bags of my unfavorite chai. Today will be a ginger pear white day, I think. Yesterday was a coffee day. We had the very last of our home-roasted beans. MM was able to finally get the perfect City Roast on the last batch. Such a difference to have freshly roasted beans! We will order (a much smaller bag) in a couple of weeks, and keep perfecting our roast.

Working... Well. Things are finally cookin' with my job search. I've gotten good feedback on my resume revamp, and had a really good networking meeting yesterday. I'm working on my cover letter blurbs and my website today and checking out a few leads. Here's hopin.

Reading... Finished Christian Smith's The Bible Made Impossible. It really does offer great insight on ways that Protestants, particularly evangelicals, have lost connection to the actual power of the scriptures they claim to revere by making an idol of the Bible. Its an academic book, and not at all easily digestible. I'm hoping someone pulls a John Ortberg and writes the "Biblicism for Dummies" version soon.

Also dipping back into the Stephen Lawhead Pendragon Cycle. I'm reading Merlin right now. Fun and interesting. Might try to score the rest of the books at a used bookstore, so we have the whole set. MM hasn't read them and may find them enjoyable. (Or they may make him facepalm and roll his eyes so hard he concusses because of factual errors.)

Learning... About me, mostly. Oh Life Transitions, how good you are at making us grow! (Sidenote: Blerg.)

Creating... Well. I've got a quilt, an embroidery project, a new scarf (this one will end!), and two photo projects to finish soon, but I have to tell you about my new brownies. (I realize I could have mentioned this in tasting, but we sent the last one home with the Birthday Boy last night, and I was all dazzled by the coffee.) Anyway. Dude. So freaking good. Got these from the latest edition of Paleo Magazine (which I gave away, thinking I could get another one at our store, only to find them sold out. Hmpf!).

So, I can't tell you who's recipe this is. Or even give you the original recipe, but I can give you this approximation:

Ingredients
1 sweet potato
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c oil (could be coconut oil, melted palm shortening, or like we did, melted butter)
1/4 c honey (I only used 1 tablespoon of honey, b/c we like dark brownies)
2 Tb unsweetened baking cocoa (I used 4, b/c we like dark brownies)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 Tb coconut flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c dark chocolate chips (sometimes I do this, sometimes not, also, I'll do 3/4 c and melt them and stir them in)

Directions
1 Heat oven to 425.
2 Grease a 8x8 pan and set aside.
3 Poke holes in unpeeled sweet potato with fork/knife.
4 Bake sweet potato in oven til soft (30 minutes).
5 Take the potato out and turn oven down to 350.
6 Remove the peel and place potato in mixing bowl.
7 Blend potato until smooth (I use a handmixer).
8 Add wet ingredients (egg, vanilla, oil, honey).
   - I used way less honey.
   - If I add melted chips this is when I do that.
   - Last night, I added a splash of decaf coffee that we still had in the caraf - yum! mocha!
9 Mix until all ingredients incorporated nicely.
10 Add dry ingredients (cocoa, cinnamon, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, chips).
   - I always add the baking soda last, b/c it reacts with the chocolate and honey, and I don't want
      flat brownies.
11 Mix until all ingredients incorporated nicely.
12 Pour batter into pan.
13 Bake at 350 until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. (20-30 min, depending on your oven?)
   - This can be tricky if you've got chips in there, so poke a few times to be sure.

These suckers are delicious. Healthy ingredients. I mean, this is basically a sweet potato with an egg and lots of dark chocolate. Yeah, baby! Potassium! Magnesium! No xanthan gum or soy or grains or weird stuff. If you don't do eggs, use flaxseed and water. If you don't do butter, do palm shortening or coconut oil. Last night we served them with freshly made whipped cream and fresh blackberries. Woah Nelly Olsen.

You just have to play around with the ratios of honey and baking powder and chocolate chips to get the flavor that you like. We like dense brownies, and we like dark chocolate and coffee, so less honey, added decaf, and more cocoa/chips works well for us. You might like something else. More honey. Caramel. Nuts. Whatever floats your brownie boat.

Dreaming... of The Future.

Pondering... The Future.

Thankful for... The Present. My amazing MM and his lifegiving love. The arrival of spring. Coffee. Brownies. Good friends. The possibility of a new church. Trader Joes taco seasoning. Stacks of books. Celtic music. Yarn, fabric, thread, and Netflix streaming. A soul that is learning to speak and believe that it will be heard. Poetry. And the power of good writing to shape a soul. Good art and the people who make it. Feasting in the midst of a lean season. The quiet of lent and that slow stir of anticipation for Easter.

Shine on, you crazy diamonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?