1/11/2013

friday fave five - random

I know. I'm posting a lot all of a sudden. It's hard to keep up. As Sarah Bessey's son would say, "My has lotsa words." But, its true, and so here are a few random ones for Friday...

~ ~ ~

I canNOT believe my breakfast this morning. I ate sardines. Ack! Yes! I know. I KNOW! I am reduced to tinned fish. Oh, the things I do for paleo.

But. Sardines are a crazy awesome Omega-3 powerhouse and filled with all sorts of nutritional goodies. They are very sustainable, because of their short lives and fast reproduction. They don't have all the mercury risk of other fish, because they are so tiny. And we need more fish in our diet and our food budget is tight. All my sardine memories are of my mom putting small, slimy fish on bread and then PUTTING IT IN HER MOUTH. Gah! Gross! Gross! Gross! And they smelled so bad. Blagh!

But these were boneless and skinless and packed in lemon juice and olive oil. I fried them with spinach leaves, garlic, oregano, and a pinch of garlic, and an egg. Not bad. Salty. And I think if I'd added a bit of chopped onion, it would have been better. And super filling. Not my favorite breakfast, but for a first try I'm quite encouraged. This may be a simple way to get a little more fish in our diet.

~ ~ ~

It is frosty cold again today. The front yard is ghostly white. As the sun peaks over the  trees and rooftops, the back yard fills with diamonds. Clouds are moving in, so I'm not sure if the front yard will get the same bejeweled treatment, but it's pretty in its own way. I'm kind of glad about this cold snap. Often, after Christmas, the post-holiday blues come on with all the rain and fog. This year it's sunny, but it feels like winter. It feels like snow.

This weekend, we may buy some chains, strap up the car, and head up to the mountains to go play with our snowshoes. Or we may buy some rum and firewood and cozy up with piles of books and the last of the Christmas chocolate. Or both! Either way, we win!

~ ~ ~

For our poetry this week we've enjoyed Tom Wayman.

~ ~ ~

We are giving up on The Office. We are two seasons behind. (Andy just took them all on a field trip to Gettysburg.) It just kind of tanked as Michael was leaving, and we can't get into the new normal. Does it get better? Should we hold out?

We don't watch a lot of TV, so we want to make it count. Life is short and I want my man to see things like Arrested Development and Big Bang Theory and Call the Midwives. Portlandia. Etc. etc.

Do we waste more time on this dying show? I just don't think its worth it...
~ ~ ~

What is worth it? These paleo chocolate chip cookies (since I talked about them yesterday, I should post the recipe, right?):

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat

3. Combine
    3 c almond flour
    1/4 c coconut flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt

4. Combine
    1/2 c palm shortening (or butter, softened, but seriously Palm Shortening = fab)
    2 eggs
    2 T vanilla
    1/4 c honey

5. Stir together the dry mixture and the wet mixture.

6. Stir in 1 c chocolate chips*

7. Measure out spoonfuls of cookie dough on the sheet (we use a soup spoon)

8. Bake until golden. Times will vary depending on ovens. Ours tends to run a bit hot, I think, so I have to eyeball it. You get the feel of it after awhile.

Makes 24 cookies. Yum!

~ ~ ~

Happy Friday, friends.

2 comments:

  1. Love these glimpses into your life. Keep 'em coming! PS The snow is so low you won't have to drive far.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?