12/04/2012

between the merry and the jolly


Christmas time is here
Happiness and cheer
Time that all
The children call
Their favorite time of year.

Pandora's Indie Christmas and the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack seem to suit my holiday mood this year. A touch of silly and jazzy to soften the somber. Someone (and not Kathleen Kelly) referenced that Joni Mitchel song:

It’s coming on Christmas
They’re cutting down trees
They’re putting up reindeer
Singing songs of joy and peace.
I wish I had a river I could skate away on.

I don't really want to skate away on a river, but I do find myself needing more quiet these days. Time away from the bustle and noise. Time to listen. Time to feel and to process what I'm feeling.

Even though my paleo cinnamon rolls were a total disaster, Organized Craft Day was great fun. I got to see some of my girlfriends I've been missing. Oh, how I needed that. We're hosting another event on Saturday - an afternoon coffee and cookies party to celebrate the joy of Tubas. :D

But in between these parties is the Advent week of Hope. One candle in the dark of winter. A reminder for me that in between the Merry and the Jolly is the work of quiet. It's the only way I know to make my jagged edges smooth.

This week I'm gonna lay low. Bake some cookies and sing along with Sufjan and Zoe and the Peanuts Gang. Light that candle every night during dinner and pray simple prayers that speak of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?