11/09/2012

it is a miracle

Hello friends. I've been busy. In a good way.

This last month I've been creating a lot. In anticipation of some events. I made Halloween costumes for MM and me:



I made hair fascinators for the women in my family to wear at my in-law's Birthday/Anniversary party. My first time trying this, and I was pleased with the results. They're delightful feathery, flowery, sparkly things. (Click to embiggen the photo and see more detail.)


I baked fancy layer cakes for the party. One was a Pamelas gluten free vanilla cake, but I also learned how to make a chocolate paleo layer cake from scratch. Oy! I basically used Paleo Mom's cupcake recipe, but added more baking soda and used 1/2 butter and 1/2 coconut oil. Deeeeeelish!



I also learned how to make a stabilized whipped cream frosting that could hold up to transport and a couple hours in a reception hall. Because we don't do cornstarch anymore, and a lot of stabilizers are made with random mystery ingredients, we went with this recipe. Cream cheese. Oh, Lordy. We used more vanilla than it called for, and honey instead of sugar. Deeeeelish again!

And beautiful! My sister-in-law decorated all the cakes with flowers. Wow!


(Aren't my in-laws darling! Hi Mom and Dad! :D )

The party was great. We worked our buns clean off (which is why we had to have leftover cake for breakfast two days in a row, right?) So Sunday MM and I lounged like it was our jobs. It was a day for a leisurely breakfast, a quick drive to see some of the fall color that we've been missing in our rush to prepare for parties, etc., a Phat Nap, and an evening of watching Lord of the Rings in our sweats. Marvelous.

This week I've spent putting the house back together and banging out tasks for our next events:
 ~ A demonstration of my husband's sword school
 ~ Thanksgiving with my family
 ~ Whiskeytron - a whiskey tasting my man is hosting two days after Thanksgiving.

I bought new glassware and new towels and a supposedly unbreakable French Press. (We'll see about that, Mr Press. We'll see.) I returned the two chipped pieces for the dishes I bought last week. Did I ever show you the millions of dishes we own? Here:

Wow.

It's been laundry and cleaning and decorating and then more laundry. Today I'm making chicken stock and taking down my beloved bats. :) It's time to hang the fall wreath and decorate the mantle.

The holidays are upon us. Here's a quote that I found the other day that sums them up quite well, I think:

"It is a miracle if you can find true friends, and it is a miracle if you have enough food to eat, and it is a a miracle if you get to spend your days and evenings doing whatever it is you like to do, and the holiday season–like all the other seasons–is a good time not only to tell stories of miracles, but to think about the miracles in your own life, and to be grateful for them." ~ Lemony Snicket, The Lump of Coal.

Happy holiday season, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?