10/09/2012

thankful tuesday - we so fayn-cee edition


We're celebrating Thankful Tuesday at Micha's today. Here's my list:

~ A new route to MM's work. We live next door to a gorgeous park, and for the last week or two we've avoided the traffic-laden main streets and have driven through a portion of parkway. Its a curvy road with groves of tall trees on either side. Pale sunlight streams through leafy branches, landing on dew-soaked grass. It's like driving through a forest. We sip coffee or tea from our travel mugs and chat. As someone who spent two decades in bumper-to-bumper commutes, I give this morning ride two thumbs up.

~ My brain. I updated a couple websites and blogs last week. And my "two hours, max" project turned into twelve hours, a break over the weekend, and several cusswords. The sites were all out of date, software-wise, so I had to do a bunch of upgrades on the back end and with the sites themselves to get all the bits of technology to play nicely with each other. There was a bug in the upgrade package, so I had to do some workarounds, blah blah blah - The important thing here is that: I AM FREAKING SMART PEOPLE!!! (Just threw the horns for myself.) I am so proud I can hardly stand it. This came on the heals of several weeks of work-related frustration and discouragement, so huge boost. Yay!

~ An encouraging note. A friend of mine sent me a message about my post from yesterday that just warmed me through and through. Again. It's been a discouraging time lately, and it meant so much to hear that something I wrote mattered to someone. She didn't know that I'd been discouraged; she was just kindly sending a note of thanks. Powerful to me, though. Words can build up as well as tear down. I need to be better about that - telling people that they have an impact on me. A friend of mine calls her website, "Your Story Matters." It does. I need to tell people that more often.

~ Fall. Oh! Finally! Good night nurse! It's been 100 degrees here til just this week. Now its in the 70s and the mornings are chilly. I put on a sweater today! I bought twice as many apples as we needed just so we'd have spares for apple crisps and cobblers and pancakes and... I pulled out the When Harry Met Sally soundtrack for the car. (Because I couldn't find John Denver in the morning rush.) I bought a big pumpkin for the front porch and set up my little scarecrow. I'm thinking of making paper bats to decorate for Halloween. I want to go walk in the woods and pick apples and make a pot roast and popcorn balls and spiced cider... OK. I'll stop now. I just. Be still my heart, I love this season.

~ And also... The glorious blue skies lately... a couple good hair days in a row... a fixed toilet... a sprinkle of nutmeg in my coffee... a gameplan for the approaching our big fall projects... a new golden bug light for the front porch... zinnia bouquets all over the house... MM being extra lovey-dovey, dreamy, romantic yesterday... upgrading to the $8 wine this week, cuz we so FAYN-CEE!

What about you? Is anyone thankful out there on this Tuesday. Leave a comment. Or, go visit Micha's site to see her list and leave a comment there.

5 comments:

  1. Grateful over here for new beginning and new places to call home. I've really been overwhelmed by the support and friendliness of my new academic community. Things have worked out so much better than I could have imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been rejoicing with you from here. I love that you tried squash! :) I bet that will be a great stress reliever in the coming semesters. I am glad you have found a home instead of just a place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:49 PM

    We're very thankful for family, including you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back atcha, Anonymous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:21 PM

    I'm so thankful to the Lord for our beautiful and extremely bright new (well, relatively new) daughter. I'm thankful that she loves our son so much and that he loves her so much. I'm so thankful that she loves our family. I'm so thankful that she's such an awesome blogger! Wow, girl, you are so loved. Hugs and kisses, Mama Gay

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?