For today I am,
Seeing... Our back lawn is filled with tiny flowers. We've made tiny bouquets with them. And now, we even have a dedicated Tiny Bouquet Vase (and old mini nail polish bottle). These are new ones. Purple puffballs that, if the lawn guys didn't whack them to bits every week, would grow into something resembling a miniature foxglove. Yard guys come tomorrow, so they are at their peak today. I plopped myself in a patch of them for morning tea and sunshine.
Hearing... Kinda quiet today. The doves, finches, starlings, and other small birds are rather quiet today. Instead its noisy crows squawking and dogs barking... MM is working from home today, so I hear his click click, tap taping... The whir of computer drives... Ah. There are the little birds. Hello, you crazy things.
Tasting... Bacon and cantaloupe. Yum. I went to a wedding once that served an appetizer of cantaloupe wrapped in prosciutto, and ever since I've been a big fan of salty meat paired with super ripe melon. Deee-lish!... For lunch, we have a spinach and basil salad with cantaloupe, inspired by my trip home from Trader Joes yesterday. I'd bought a basil plant and a cantaloupe, and by the time I got home, my car smelled amazing. What a combo. So. Lunch salad. Woot!
Working... Finished up a small drawing project for my siblings. And am plunging next into a book design for MM. And we've got a family blog that's long-neglected. Oh, and I still have updates to make to MM's site. And my art project is still percolating in my head... feels good to create again. Rusty gears are starting to crank again.
Reading... I am a book-reading fiend! I blasted through my stack of library books and brought home four more yesterday. The best of the lot was Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, which I believe was made into a movie by the author. I may try to add it to the Netflix Queue.
It was a sad story, but I enjoyed it much better than my beach read. Gah! Blerg! Barf! It was written by a Hollywood insider, and as I read it right after Melissa Gilbert's memoir, I have every reason to believe it's representative. Depressing. I'm sure there are a lot of healthy, well-adjusted Hollywoodites, living fulfilling, abundant lives. But not these chicks. Empty. Empty. Empty. People always freak out and complain about all the sex and violence and bad morals, but honestly, the real problem is the black, aching emptiness.
Here's what's currently on deck:
In the Bathroom - Pain Free by Pete Egoscue
In the Bookbag - The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant - I try to read a little in this every day. Learning about Francis Bacon now
On the Nightstand - The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis - Almost done!
- Anne of Ingleside by LM Montgomery - Almost done!
- The West is Still Wild by Harry Carr
- Changes that Heal by Henry Cloud
- Hearing God by Dallas Willard
In the stack
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - This thing has been reccommended to me a zillion times, and I'm finally just now getting to it. Yay!
- Birthright: The True Story That Inspired Kidnapped - Saw this while trolling for biographies (Summer is my memoir/biography reading season) and thought it might be fun. MM suggests reading Kidnapped afterwards. Jolly Good Idea, I say!
- The Widow Clicquot: The Story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled It - This was another troll find. Women leaders! Champagne! MM wants to read this too, and suggests that when we're done, we buy a bottle of this bubbly (assuming its not a gazillion dollars) to celebrate. Jolly Good Idea, I say!
- Strapless: John Singer Sarget and the Fall of Madame X by Deborah Davis - This one had lots of buzz too, and MM and I remember reading articles about it. This is another one that he wants to read too.
Learning... I think that between my new books and fiddling with new-to-me software, I'll be learning lots.
Creating... Oh, I guess I covered this in working. Art! Design! Writing! Amen!
Dreaming... Oh! Dreaming! Of a hometown fourth of july. Of hiking. And camping. And a weekend at a lake. And another weekend at the ocean. And a night at the drive-ins. And another at the ball game. And a day of bbq and agua polloing around a pond. And a reunion with my high school girlfriends... And further off, of traveling in Europe and Africa and India with my man! Of Canada (after all these books we HAVE to go to Prince Edward Island.) Of music to make and stories to tell and gardens to grow... Of houses and homes and our future selves.
Pondering... The more immediate future. We are entering a new season, MM and I, and we've got lots of decisions to make. It is good to be moving forward, and to be a team, and to feel growth and healing and strength returning.
Thankful for... Tiny flowers and giant hydrangeas... bacon and cantaloupe, and tea in the garden... sketch books and library books and checkbooks that balance... my new shampoo that I get to try today... bluejeans rolled up into capris... the deep, gasping breath of air after a loooong time underwater.