6/18/2012

mondaybook - pitcher of daisies edition

For today I am,

Seeing... A cheerful bouquet of yellow daisies and white and green mums from my MM. I put them in a little white pitcher my mother-in-law gave me. I keep hauling them from room to room, or out on the porch, so I can have them with me wherever I am. Just now they sit all sweet and simple and homey on the plain wood of the dining table. There's something Little House on the Prairie-ish about a white pitcher of daisies on a wooden table.

Hearing... The Worldbeat Pandora station, which just now is skewed towards Tango and French Jazz. Love it. Was the perfect accompaniment for my morning of chasing dustbunnies around my floors. The Vintage French Pop CD currently on rotation at my local Starbucks got me in the mood for the French stuff. And MM has a fantastic Asian Groove CD in the car right now. Lots of modern Indian dance stuff. Sexy, dancey, and relaxing all at once, with just a touch of Bollywood. I foresee a multicultural summer this year.

Tasting... My little summer cocktail of cranberry juice and sparkly orange water.

Working... Doing a bit of sketching for a logo, and maybe some template design for a book MM is editing - if my hands hold out. Also, the aforementioned floor cleaning and other housework.

Reading... Well - since I last did one of these, I blasted through a bunch of books, including all MM's trades of Astro City (fantastic). We are at the end of his run, so we'll need to hit the comic shop to pick up the rest of the series. Here's what's currently in my stack:

Bathroom -  Pain Free by Pete Egoscue

Bookbag - The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant

Nightstand - The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis - I re-read these almost every year. The sweet reminders of God's love and friendship make me smile.

With MM - Anne of Ingleside by LM Montgomery - MM keeps renaming the books (Anne's House of Dreams became "Anne's House of Horrors," because of all the sad stories; Anne of Windy Poplars was "Anne and the Completely Dysfunctional Town") and this one is "Anne's Children are All Idiots." LOL.

I LOVE reading this series with him. We've had a lot of great conversations stemming from this. There are three more books in this series, but I don't own them. MM wants to get them and continue, even though I've told him it will be mostly about the Idiot Children. :) Good times ahead. Thank you Blythe Family and Lucy Maud.

   - The West is Still Wild by Harry Carr - we are loving this book and want to see if we can find more by this out of print author. I'll write more later on this.

   - Changes that Heal by Henry Cloud

   - Hearing God by Dallas Willard

Desk - Bossypants by Tina Fey - her funny memoire of growing up weird and ending up running a great show with low ratings. I like reading memoires and biographies in the summer, and this one was all over the place last year. There are actually some gems in this little book. I'm liking it.

   - Prairie Tale by Melissa Gilbert - her sordid tale of fame and disfunction and healing and whatnot. Meh. It's a memoire, and was on the same shelf as Bossypants.

   - The Cigarette Girl by Carol Wolper - beach read, something something, hollywood romance, something something - we'll see. Basically, this is just keeping me busy til the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society comes in at the library.

   - Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie - described as "A funny, touching, sly, and altogether delightful novel about the power of art to enlarge our imaginations." Summer books should be sweet too. So, we'll try this one.

Learning... To relax.

Creating... I use composition books for my journals. And since a row of black composition books is boring, I decorate them with collages and fancy papers. Last week I started cutting out things for my new journal, and it morphed into me "finding" a poem. Something that speaks to my hopes for this season I'm coming into. I spent three days finding words in magazines, clipping, arranging, and thinking about what they meant. It was... cleansing. Felt good to make art again. It's been a long time.

I'm not sure what this will end up, but right now I'm playing around with a video with spoken word and MM's music for one version, and then some kind of mixed media thing for the other. A canvas? An object? Something. Covered with the words and the image that goes with them.

Dreaming... Of Europe and a future with a bit more breathing room.

Pondering... How on earth to cook the ribs I pulled out for dinner. I'm glad its cooler today, b/c these babies may go in the oven.

Thankful for... A pitcher of daisies, clean hardwood floors, and French jazz... A husband who listens to me, seeks to know my heart, and wants to learn to Tango with me... A stack of library books, a sparkly drink, and a summer breeze... The release of making art and glimmers of hope. And that Jimmy Fallon consistently gets The Roots to do goofy musical stuff with him.


Happy Monday.

3 comments:

  1. This Jimmy Fallon video is hilarious!

    Also, I love how much thankfulness and joy in your life you have expressed in this post. It makes me happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann's children are NOT idiots! How can MM say such a thing?! Oh my girl-heart has just started bleeding and I may be inconsolable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel - Thank you! :D

    Tonia - He definitely has his own opinions about these characters. (He called Gilbert "Numbnuts" for most of a book, because he thought he needed to man up and tell Anne he loved her.) He enjoyed the whimsey in Anne's girlhood, but her children don't seem to charm him at all. He keeps asking, "How old is this kid?" I remind him that this was 100 years ago and kids were not as streetwise then, but he doesn't think that's a good enough reason. (Reading these with him has been a total blast!)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?