1/30/2012

its like invasion of the body snatchers

So. I learned a couple food things this week.

First, for me, it is not wise to buy a Giant Cabbage and a Giant Bag of Kale in the same week. Trying to manage all this produce (The stuff just expands when you shred it. Yowza!) into our meals a clear game plan was not so good. A cabbage yields a lot of food for just the two of us, so if I buy one, I need to know what I'm going to do with it, or it just goes bad.

I think I've figured out a plan for cabbage, at least:
 - 1/4 steamed/roasted with meat and veggies like the Good Irish Girl that I am.
 - 1/4 shredded for tacos and adding to various sautes, soups, or salads
 - 1/4 shredded with other goodies (green onion, bell pepper, carrot, mushroom) to make spring/eggrolls and/or asian salad
 - 1/4 turned into sauerkraut*

That's a ton of meals, and even with that, we may have to invite people over to help us eat it. Cruciferous veggies for everyone! The good news is that everyone likes tacos, and my eggrolls rock. Or, at least they would, if I could keep them from exploding in the pan when I heat them up.

* This is a new one for me. I'm slowly adding different probiotics to our food, and sauerkraut is all trendy now. Got some tasty-sounding recipes from Martha Stewart and online. Just need to get a couple jars, new spices, and the fermenting ingredients.

Second, how to make potsticker soup and eggrolls - all by myself. So, the kale is just out of control. There's too much of it, and I'm not sure what to do with it. Our blender is not mighty enough to make green smoothies, so mostly I have to add it to salads, soups, sauces, and sautes. This week I needed to use up some stuff, so I made potsticker soup and added kale. Here are all the sordid details.

MM loves potstickers, so I'd bought a bag of frozen ones in September, and every now and then I pull a few out when I make Asian food. In an unfortunate freezer incident they thawed slightly and then re-froze into a giant glob of potstickers. We still had half a bag full. I didn't want to throw them out, but I couldn't pull them out a few at a time. Saw a recipe for potsticker soup on the back of the bag. And voila!

Another thing floating around in our freezer has been the extra bits and bobs of chickens that we don't cook with the bird (gizzards, etc.) and a couple frozen chicken carcases from roasts gone by. I plopped all of it into a big pot filled with water, simmered it all day, and by evening I had a hearty chicken stock. Strained all the bones, bits, and bobs out. And basically ditched the recipe and went "off roading" instead. I added carrots, mushroom, green onion, garlic, and ginger and got things nice and aromatic. Then I dumped in the Giant Glob of Potstickers. And after it had simmered and the potstickers had separated and were bobbing happily in the broth, I tossed in some kale. I let it go long enough to wilt, but not enough to get mushy. Freakin' good.

While all this was happening, I made my very first lumpia/eggrolls all by my very own self. (Usually have a more experienced chef with me.) Half of them exploded during frying, but man, were they good.  And I got to use some more cabbage. It's half gone, now! Go me! But, of course, I still have a giant box of kale to figure out. 

So yeah. Cabbage and kale. That's all I got. If you have some ideas, friends, let me know.

4 comments:

  1. Duker2:44 PM

    Well Silly Doo Dah, my LD who sometimes goes by the name of George LOVES Kale sauted with a tiny bit of Olive Oil and some Balsamic vinegar to round it out. Give it a try, I personally cant stand the stuff!!! LOL Or you could try to make some Kale chips, I hear those are good, again... Uh huh, no way, not gettin that stuff near my lips !! Keep us posted on your progress. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duker - Thanks! I will try it tonight. It's beans and cornbread, so I'll try some "greens" too. :) Maybe add some garlic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Kale chips. Chop it roughly, stir with olive oil just enough to moisten, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven till crispy. So yummy! Really! But they don't keep, so only make what you can eat right then.
    2. Rumbledethump. Cabbage, onions, potatoes, cheese, butter. Take about 1/3 of a medium cabbage, and one large onion. Slice them thin. Sautee in 4 tbsp of butter for about 20 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile, boil up 1 lb of potatoes (in chunks). When soft, drain. Add the cabbage and onion, and about 1/2 cup of shredded cheese of your choice. Then put it in a baking dish and bake at about 375 for about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the top with cheese if you want it super gooey. Done. And so yummy. Plus it's an awesome name that inspires making up your own dance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer - I HAVE to make that - just for the name! :D Sounds very good. I have no potatoes, but I do have a sweet potato (or yam)...

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?