11/03/2011

thursdaybook - swirling leaves and placid laundry

For today I am

Seeing... The view of the back yard out the window above my desk. Oh, how I have missed having a window above my desk! I see layers of oak and pecan trees sweeping their branches across a pearl grey sky. Before them, more layers: fruit tries, rosebushes, hydrangeas, butterfly bushes, an overgrown rosemary plant, and a squatty palm of some sort. Our lumpy lawn of crabgrass and weeds fills the space between the layers of foliage and the house. Flurries of leaves drift and swirl across my line of sight. A perfect November day. Oh, this will be a good spot for dreaming and creating...

Hearing... The freeway. If there's one bummer about The Pink House its that we hear the nearby freeway more than birds. We hope that our thermal drapes may provide some noise buffer as well. I also hear the washer and dryer churning, tumbling, whirring, and buzzing away.

Tasting... Water. I'm trying to drink more of it. I've come up with a plan to alternate Tea and water during the day, starting with black and working my way down to chamomile at the end of the day. Today was the first day that I did not cheat and have a mid-day coffee. Go me!

Working... Setting up our house. Today, I got started on the studio. Still need to get a few pieces of furniture, but it's in usable shape at least. Every room I work on generates a list of furniture or fixtures or storage containers, which we must wait to purchase, so nothing feels complete. But at least now we can find our clothes, make food, and print a document.

Reading... Salt. Still. It was packed in a box that I just opened today, so I can finish it up, finally. Though its been so long, I may start at the beginning again. While I was waiting to find my official current read, I picked up Steven King's superb On Writing. Perfect timing for NaNoWriMo (see below). MM and I are still enjoying our Cultural Exchange Read-Alouds (Jack Higgin's The Eagle has Landed and Anne of Avonlea. And I'm looking forward to him finishing his perusal of The Circle of Seasons, so we can come up with plans for Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany.

Learning... My brain is full of house projects, so I'm not sure there's space for learning right now...

Creating... It's NaNoWriMo, and I'm sort of participating. I'm not writing a novel, but I'm working on a short piece of fiction as time and energy allow. The goal is to write a little bit each day. I've also got a hankering to draw or sketch or something. (As an aside, MM -who is also doing short works this go around-has tons of ideas, and they're all so good! This is going to be a fun month of creating with my man.)

Dreaming... Of a new home to fill with music and stories and game nights and dinner parties and fireside chats and philosophy breakfasts... of ways to get our financial house in order faster, so we can get on with pursuing some life goals/dreams... of digging in the flowerbeds I can see through this window...

Pondering... The ways of gentleness and grace. Patience, trust, and that "in repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength." How I cultivate external peace (order, beauty, rhythms) because I crave internal peace.

Thankful for... The Pink House... my desk window... my new desk... The leaves swirling through the back yard... the spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove... my sweet MM, who had a frustrating day of exploding lunches and fruitless errands amidst the usual Thursday meeting madness, and all with good spirits. If it was me, I would have been flipping out and calling everyone in traffic a f***face. Good thing I was at home with the placid laundry.

3 comments:

  1. This is fantastic thursdaybook entry. Love it, love it, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the birds will soon out sing the freeway.

    Setting up a household is work, but so much fun. I always enjoyed doing.

    (from your previous post) I have great memories of our first home (apartment) in Burligame and often wander back in time to it. We loved living there for the short time. Hmmm.......maybe I will write about it.

    Happy Home to you and your beloved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn Rain - Thank you! You encourage me!
    Lynette - Thank you, too. And yes, you SHOULD write a book about your first home.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?