10/05/2011

deliciousness

This morning as I drove MM to the chiropractor I noticed that as we went over speed bumps and potholes, our hands holding our travel mugs of coffee would automatically move up and down, shock absorber shoulders and elbows adjusting for the undulation and preventing spillage. It looked as though we were "cheersing" our fellow commuters as we drove along. "Good day to you, sir." "Madam, I salute you." "Here's mud in your eye."

Next time, I think we should go ahead and actually toast the drivers we pass. "I congratulate you on your fine left turn signal." Way to slow for a pedestrian." "D**n it feels good to be a gangsta."

~ ~ ~

We had the first rain of the season last night and today the world smells delicious! I hope to spend as much time as I can outside, sucking in great draughts of this air. Makes my blood tingle.

It's the perfect weather to pick apples and hunt for pumpkins. Sadly, I think MM's back injuries preclude a trip to the foothills, but maybe we can find something closer to home. I am ready to let my fall freak flag fly. And even if we are moving soon. (Please, oh, please, let it be soon.) pumpkins are portable.

(Especially the tiny ones they have at the grocery store. I can't help but buy one every time I go. They are multiplying like tribbles around here!)

~ ~ ~

Listen! The wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves,/ We have had our summer evenings, now for October eves! ~ Humbert Wolfe

~ ~ ~

In honor of October, I've made some yummy dinners this week:
 - Rosemary chicken roasted in beer, quinoa made with homemade chicken broth, broccoli. salad.
 - Meatballs in mushroom, onion, and wine sauce, oregano mashed potatos, steamed carrots, salad.

I believe there are some soups, a pork roast, and a pot of white beans in our near future as well. I will even make my world famous, Martha's Kick A** Meatloaf and force my husband to try it. (He swears he will hate it. He is incorrect. ;)

And despite all my good "no sugar" intentions, I am indulging in all the spicy, caramel-y treats of the season. I'm sorry but kettle corn and caramel dipped apples, snicker-doodles and cinnamon rolls, and pies, crisps, and cobblers just need to happen right now. So, I'm allowing the indulgences, but just doing smaller amounts. Hooray for ramikins!

~ ~ ~

And while we're talking indulgences, um, oh yes. "Delicious autumn," indeed!

2 comments:

  1. Love that Humbert Wolfe quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I love the imagery of, "the air is wild with leaves." Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?