9/26/2011

i have no title for this post

The breezes taste 
Of apple peel 
The air is full 
Of smells to feel- 
Ripe fruit, old footballs, 
Burning brush, 
New books, erasers, 
Chalk, and such. 
The bee, his hive, 
Well-honeyed hum, 
And Mother cuts 
Chrysanthemums. 
Like plates washed clean 
With suds, the days 
Are polished with 
A morning haze. 

John Updike, September

It's beginning to feel a little like fall, and I'm beginning to get on board with this new season. A couple overcast days, some new candles, and a hearty meal or two nudge me into the autumn state of mind. I'll pick up some mums today, and some eucalyptus branches to "flavor" the house. I'll swap out the slip cover on the couch. Tonight, as we play games for Date Night, I'll bust out apple cider and kettle corn. Maybe we'll have a pot pie for dinner.

~ ~ ~

I've been grieving the loss of an Internet friend this weekend. Beautiful Sara Frankl, the Gitzen Girl, is finally home. It is sad for us, but it is so good for her to finally be free from the chronic pain of a terrible 17-year illness that kept her home bound for the last three years of her life.

This woman is amazing. Amazing. Her ability to choose joy in the midst of pain humbles, awes, and inspires me to be better. I want to be like her when I grow up. She loved well. And made a huge impact on many lives, despite the physical limits of her life. To learn more about the impact of this remarkable woman, read through some of the tributes that people have written about her. (I especially love Mathew's, Mandy's, and Shannon's.)

The Internet is a strange and wondrous place. I'm thankful I've been able to know Sara, and now so many of her friends. Technology can be destructive, but it can also bring life and love and connection. So very, very cool.

~ ~ ~

The change of seasons and the grieving of Sara and the ramp up for my friend's wedding on Saturday have my heart overflowing with thankfulness and a deep sense of how precious life is. And how short. And what a gift it all is.

4 comments:

  1. I thought of you yesterday. It was "that day" for me - you know what I mean? The day where I felt the season shift into Autumn. Sending you Fall beauty - joy amidst the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Thank you. I'm feeling it too. :) Here's to "delicious Autumn"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:32 AM

    Oh Dawn, Daddy and I were so sorry to hear about your friend Sara...but, so happy to hear she's home and no longer suffering. We will be in prayer for you and your loss. We have also been praying for this busy week and for Debbie and her upcoming wedding. Know how much you are loved, Precious.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anonymous! :D Your love and prayers mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?