2/03/2011

a good morning at our house

awake to the sound of gongs and ninjas... snuggle up close and smile into the eyes of my sweet, sleepy man... close my eyes again as he prays for the new day... pee (in the bathroom, not the bed)... make the bed together (thank you God for this marriage, for letting me begin and end each day with this man)... hug and kiss and say "I love you" one more time... get blender and tea things and breakfast dishes ready for action...

unroll my mat and stretch my aching joints and stiff muscles, massage my tense jaw, fill my lungs with deep, gulping draughts of cool air, ease gently into the morning, repeat...

slip on stripey socks and long-sleeved T-shirts and scarves and jeans that don't quite fit anymore... do something with my crazy hair... move into the morning rhythms: turn on the tea water, flip the laundry, put the dishes away, make the oatmeal, blend the smoothie, set the table, get out the lunch things, tic toc, 1 2 3, little things that keep things running...

hold hands across the tiny kitchen table... sneak a look at my guy praying again (he's so handsome!)... make googly faces over oatmeal as we connect and make plans for the day/week/weekend/month - the next steps this adventure... read a few words on how to live life well and share our thoughts on those words... another prayer, a blessing for the work of this day, for strength, for wisdom, for courage, for help...

if we're really on our game, there's time for more snuggling, etc. ;) ... if not, at least we have hugs and "I love you"s and "Text me"s at the door... and waves through the window...

the day's work begins.

Now, most mornings don't go this way, but after decades of waking up in pain, jerked out of bad sleep by a noisy alarm, to a cold, empty room, and eating alone before heading out into the weather and the traffic to drive to a miserable job and too many things to do... even ONE morning like this is heaven. Even frazzly mornings now are shared with my man, and that makes all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. It is so comforting to know that you are being loved well and that you are loving well too. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?