2/04/2011

friday fave five - dudes

My man's buddies came by last night to talk and reconnect. Haven't seen them in a while, and it was great to spend time with them. Unlike a lot of men they always welcome me to stay while they hang out with MM. I try not to do it too often, cuz I know it changes the vibe when its co-ed instead of just dudes, and I know MM needs time with his buddies. But I really enjoy these guys, so last night I stuck around.

When I was first getting to know MM I paid close attention to his friendships. I think you can tell a lot about someone by the people around him/her and how those folks interact. This is an incredible group of guys. Artists, writers, musicians, designers - super smart, funny, and creative. They get together and sip some whiskey or beers and have interesting, deep, silly conversations covering a ton of subjects: poetry, cars, zombie movies, weapons, beer, philosophy, religion, science, history, music, art, social justice, what a happens to a coconut if you shoot it with different kinds of guns...

Their friendship has great depth. These guys hug each other, say "I love you", ask how each other is doing, and mean it. They really care about each other as people and support each other.

One guy in the group just finished the first draft of his novel and is headed to his first writers conference in a few weeks. So, the guys are going too. They'll lend moral support and cheer him on and just be around all weekend if he needs them. And then they'll have dinner and drinks and celebrate the Author's successful first steps into his dream.

Pretty awesome.

And they are like that all the time. A new job? Unemployed? A new class, pursuit, or passion? A baby? A broken heart? A wedding? These dudes are there for each other. And they've been very kind and welcoming to me from the very begining. I just so hit the jackpot with all the in-laws!

So my Friday Fave Five this week are B, D, U, P, and J. I'm glad my good man has these good men by his side. Nice to know they've got our backs when the zombie apocalypse comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?