12/16/2010

wakens my ear

The Lord God has given me
the tongue of those who are taught,
that I may know how to sustain
the weary with a word.
Morning by morning he wakens
--wakens my ear
to listen as those who are taught.
~ Isaiah 50:4


Read these words this morning, and want to chew on them awhile. How good it would be to know how to sustain the weary with a word. The way to do this, of course, is to stop talking. The tongues of those who are taught are silent. Those who are taught, listen.

2 comments:

  1. Yes. And it takes training and teaching to learn to be quiet and silent and listen. It took me 3 years of graduate school in counseling and I still haven't learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Silence is hard! So many times, when someone has shared heartache or frustration with me, I have immediately blurted out my solutions, opinions, ideas, anecdotes, etc. instead of simply saying, "That really sucks. I'm so sorry." Learning, though. Slowly. Maybe I should go to graduate school. :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?