11/11/2010

autumny goodness

It has been an emotionally topsy-turvy week for me. I'm recovering from a cold, so I'm a bit run down, and I've just had lots of churning and gyrating in this healing soul of mine. I'm not even sure what all is going on in there. Just feeling a bit more fragile than usual.

It'll all come out in the wash eventually. For now I'm concentrating on the basics: eat healthy food, drink lots of water, get good sleep, don't over do it... MM, as always, has been supportive and loving, even while he is recovering from bronchitis.

Despite sickness and emotional upheaval I am still enjoying my favorite season:

~ I've not been able to go out walking much, but even my short drives to work or running errands make me squeal over the beautiful leaves.

~ At our house, I harvested the eucalyptus leaves from a couple bouquets and placed a small bowl of them in the living room. I run my fingers through them now and then to breathe in the fragrance of fall.

~ I assembled a wreath for the front door, set up a small display of gourds for the dining table, and set the little scarecrow on the front steps next to the one pumpkin that escaped carving this year.

~ On the sunny days, I join the scarecrow for a bit of porch time. I sit in my wicker chair to watch squirrels fight and play and stuff their faces. I watch the leaves of our maple tree flutter to the ground.

~ On the rainy days, I light candles and make soup and bake and wear sweaters and snuggle up on the couch to read under a soft blanket that's the same dark orange as my neighbor's tree.

~ This is the season of jazz and folk and "old timey" music for me. In early October MM put his Feels Like Home CD in my car, which is the perfect blend of jazz and country. Been listening to it a lot as I drive through the tree-lined streets.

~ The other day we watched You've Got Mail, "Don't you just love New York in the Fall?" And a Harry Potter movie is coming out, which, by now feels like a fall tradition.

Doing my best to soak in the golden beauty of this season, before the long dark of winter. What is everyone else doing too harvest some autumny goodness?

3 comments:

  1. Missing you Dawn! Lola and Pieter are both sick right now, but I have managed to sit out this round, so far! I'm hoping we can get together soon. Oh yeah, Lola and I shared a bowl of popcorn today and we thought of you since the first time she had it was at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jewellspring8:07 PM

    Pomegranates, pears, apples, and mandarins! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucy - Missing you too. We all need to get better!
    Jenny - Yum, indeed!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?