3/10/2010

no less, no more

My theme of solitude/silence popped up in our Lenten devotional this week. After a retelling of Jesus' choice to remain silent in the face of his accusers during the trial before Caiaphas, the author closes with this prayer:

Jesus, I follow you. Whenever discipleship puts me in peril, give me the gift of a holy silence--to speak the truth, no less, no more. Amen

The scene shows the power of a holy silence. The high priest and the Sanhedrin spit and hiss and fume, hurling insults and accusations. Jesus just sits quietly until he needs to speak truth, does so, and then sits quietly again as they continue to spew fear and rage.

One could say that Jesus just took it because he knew it would all come out ok in the wash, that three days later he would rise from the dead and do the big post-resurrection "Neener Neener" dance, so why bother.

I still think that facing slander and false accusations (that will lead to your painful(!) execution) in silence requires a TON of trust that God will take care of you. I'm still mulling over these ideas. And this quote:

If we are silent, who will take control? God will take control, but we will never let him take control until we trust him. Silence is intimately related to trust.

I think, at this point in my life islence would definitely not be my first response. I would kick, scream, vomit, flail - do anything - to avoid execution. I have a hard enough time remaining silent in far less dangerous situations. Still working on trust.

And the ending, "no less, no more" makes me think of the musings in this post. I want to learn to speak the truth when it needs to be said. To not let fear or pride get in the way. I have a long way to go.

***
Reliving the Passion provides a vivid and moving walk through Jesus' last days from Mark's gospel.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also "reliving the passion" with Wangerin this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) So is Ann Voskamp. Apparently we are trendy. Happy Spring to you! (Waiting anxiously for news of your next education adventure!)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?