2/02/2010

solitude: trust

A few quotes from Celebration of Discipline:

Loneliness is inner emptiness. Solitude is inner fulfillment.

* * *

If we posses inward solitude we do not fear being alone, for we know that we are not alone. Neither do we fear being with others, for they do not control us. In the midst of noise and confusion we are settled into a deep inner silence. Whether alone or among people, we always carry with us a portable sanctuary of the heart.

* * *

One reason we can hardly bear to remain silent is that it makes us feel so helpless. We are so accustomed to relying on words to manage and control others. If we are silent, who will take control? God will take control, but we will never let him take control until we trust him. Silence is intimately related to trust.

* * *

I want to experience fulfillment instead of emptiness. To settle into a deep inner silence. To carry a portable sanctuary of the heart - a place of rest and refuge and worship. I need to trust.

This weekend I came across Isaiah 12:2 and have been using it as my own personal shema:

Surely God is my salvation.
I will trust and not be afraid,
For the LORD God is my strength and my might.
He has become my salvation.


This has been a good centering prayer every day. A way to remind myself that I do not need to freak out about all the stuff that is scary or upsetting to me right now.

(Of course, as soon as I say it, I get that Jeremy Camp song stuck in my head. Sigh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?