11/09/2009

prayer for a Monday in November

The Prayer of the Week from The Divine Hours says:

"O God, whose blessed son came into the world that he might destroy the works of the devil and make us children of God and heirs of eternal life: Grant that, having this hope, I may purify myself as he is pure; that, when he comes again with power and great glory, I may be made like him in his eternal and glorious kingdom; where he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever, Amen."

The two phrases that stuck out for me as I read this morning were "purify myself as he is pure" and "that I may be made like him." These two phrases spurred me to ask the Lord my own questions.

How do I need to be purified?
What things in my life distract or corrupt me?
What things in my life pull me from your love, your kingdom, and the work you have for me to do?
In what ways, during this season, do I need to be made more like Christ?

Lord, in my reading of Luke* show me the parts of Jesus' character that you want me to admire and long for. Help me to relinquish myself to you so that you can bring that character trait (more likely traits) to fruition in me.

I'm gonna think on these things this week every time this prayer comes up in the liturgy. Hope I get some good ideas/answers.

*My boyfriend (!) and I are reading through Luke for our first (!) spiritual exercise together (!). Why Luke? Because I am lame. When MM asked me what my favorite book of the Bible was, I was tired and though my brain thought, "James," my mouth said, "Luke." Pfft! Oh well. Lord willing, we'll do James another time. :) And Luke will be cool to read during Advent, Epiphany, and Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?